Cure For Lyme Disease

Contest for the coolest ideas of things that could be. Enter! Vote! Cash prizes!
Forum rules
If you could have anything, what would be the coolest things to have? Enter your answer to a question like,

• An invention I'd like to see is _______
• The world would be a better place if _______
• It would be cool if _______

Enter as many ideas as you have (one per forum topic). They need not be your own unique idea.

Vote 1-10 for your favorites (10=best). To vote for your favorite ideas, post a message where the first thing in the message body is your numeric vote. Discuss at will. Tell people to visit http://critique.org/bestidea to vote for your idea.

$50 prize for 1st place, $25 for 2nd.

See http://critique.org/bestidea for full rules and the Leader Board.
  • Ads

Cure For Lyme Disease

Postby Omniscient POV » Fri Nov 19, 2010 7:21 am

The world would be a better place if we devised a type of nanotechnology that inter-phased with our bodies that would thwart biofilms, hiding places for Borrelia burgdorfer, and co-infections, etc within the human body (besides other creatures like our pets, horses). Borrelia burgdorfer can transform itself, hiding out within tissues, joints, eyes. It especially loves neural tissue. With the epidemic in the commonwealth of Va. and elsewhere, it would be cool if there was a cure that didn't involve being on antibiotics forever.
"Horses are God's apology for men"
Omniscient POV
Name: C.S. Miller
Sapling

Re: Cure For Lyme Disease

Postby Omniscient POV » Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:57 pm

+ 10
Omniscient POV
Sapling

Postby aburt » Sat Nov 20, 2010 7:02 am

10 - we definitely need more cures for all diseases. (And by "cures" I mean cured and done with it, not on-going money-raising treatments that line pharmaceutical pockets.)
aburt
Name: Andrew Burt
Tree

Postby Omniscient POV » Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:53 am

aburt wrote:10 - we definitely need more cures for all diseases. (And by "cures" I mean cured and done with it, not on-going money-raising treatments that line pharmaceutical pockets.)
I'm with you on that, Andrew.
Omniscient POV
Sapling

Postby crit24792 » Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:15 pm

10 I would love to have a cure for Lymes and all other diseases out there.
crit24792
Name: Dora Furlong
Sprout

Postby jehanni » Sun Jan 02, 2011 8:34 am

10 | My sense is that Lyme virus, Borrelia burgdorfer, like a number of viruses I can think of (suffering from Shingles at the moment, myself--Varicella zoster, anyone? Herpetic neuralgia? Perhaps the nanotech can be tweaked to hunt a variety of "bugs") is operating in a TSR manner: Terminate and Stay Resident. It "hides" by terminating the active processes, but staying resident in the system, ready to be reactivated. A nanotech that does the same, and activates when Borrelia goes creeping would be useful, but sounds like you want more than that--you want a detective nano, an investigative nano, a nazi-hunter nano, to track down every last resident Borrelia, however many decades it takes, and erradicate them from the system.

I'm all for that. I was diagnosed with Lyme 16 years after I first showed symptoms (turns out, I caught it the year before they named it Lyme disease). I'm willing to bet that I still have Borrelia in my system, even though (fortunately for me) the treatment I got 18 years ago managed knock back my symptoms to mostly zero. And I've lived in 5 epidemic Lyme areas since then.

So bring on the nanotech! Innovate for a cure!
jehanni
Name: Jehanni
Sprout

Postby aburt » Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:21 pm

Congrats on winning the contest! Let's hope there's a cure soon.
aburt
Name: Andrew Burt
Tree

Postby Omniscient POV » Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:36 pm

aburt wrote:Congrats on winning the contest! Let's hope there's a cure soon.
Thank you! I appreciate this!
Omniscient POV
Sapling

• Ads

Return to Best Idea Contest