One Massive Slush Pile

Contest for the coolest ideas of things that could be. Enter! Vote! Cash prizes!
Forum rules
If you could have anything, what would be the coolest things to have? Enter your answer to a question like,

• An invention I'd like to see is _______
• The world would be a better place if _______
• It would be cool if _______

Enter as many ideas as you have (one per forum topic). They need not be your own unique idea.

Vote 1-10 for your favorites (10=best). To vote for your favorite ideas, post a message where the first thing in the message body is your numeric vote. Discuss at will. Tell people to visit http://critique.org/bestidea to vote for your idea.

$50 prize for 1st place, $25 for 2nd.

See http://critique.org/bestidea for full rules and the Leader Board.
  • Ads

One Massive Slush Pile

Postby dreamlounge » Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:26 am

What about a central submission hub, a place where the finished, but unpublished, work of authors may be found by editors and bid upon? I know this isn't flashy sci-fi, nor is it beyond our current technology, but I'd take it over any run-of-the-mill technological wonder myself and I suspect it would require just as many cultural heroics to implement. What advantages/disadvantages do you see?

Possible advantages:
* smaller publications could get bigger name authors by outbidding more than established publications
* bidding wars might raise the pay rates for all authors
* if quality rises to the top, some careers may launch sooner
* creation of the short story superstar earning six figures for a single work ;)

Possible disadvantages:
* temporary black listing of the fools ;) who first try to buck the current system
* if quality rises to the top, some careers may tank sooner
* may be harder to break in to the scene with average work

Unknown:
* what would editors do when faced with all, or most, of the available speculative fiction in one heap?
dreamlounge
Name: Michael Alim Carychao
Sprout

Re: One Massive Slush Pile

Postby crit4889 » Mon May 14, 2012 8:04 pm

I read somewhere that the New Yorker had box after box of submissions - all unread, but not unrejected. (This was before online submissions.) Every optimistic, new would be short story writer began with the New Yorker. I suspect first time SF writers send to Asimov. I think your slush pile would be so high editors would be unable to deal with it.
crit4889
Sapling

• Ads

Return to Best Idea Contest