social media - risk vs reward?

Any sort of discussions. Levity yes, flames no.
  • Ads

social media - risk vs reward?

Postby crit30139 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:59 am

I'm a newbie on here. Hi everyone. I've written a novel (young adult fantasy) and a few short shorts. As we all know selling short stories is very hard - you can write something wonderful and have it rejected because it doesn't fit any given magazine's specific remit and in the same way you can sell an average one because it presses all the right buttons. Anyway, I'm thinking of dipping my toe into social media (again: hello!) to show my work in order to get around this, but am wondering whether by, let's say ,sharing my novel whole on the internet for free, or just some stories will negate my getting them officially published. In other words will attempting to build a following by showing my novel and stories mean that no publisher will touch them as there already out there -- for free?

Sorry for the longwinded post - look forward to hearing from any of you more established posters.

Steven Saunders.
crit30139
Name: Steven Saunders
Sprout

Re: social media - risk vs reward?

Postby crit19292 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:57 pm

The historic answer is YES. The publishers like to make themselves into the gate keepers of what gets published and what the public is allowed to experience. If you go around them, they do not like you.

Times are changing, but not fast enough. Many people are already ignoring print media, which has led to them failing (but not fast enough). The problem is that those of us supporting independents (or ARE independents) are swamped with a massive amount of poor choices - although such is very true with the print media as well. Thus, some system of finding quality manuscripts on a desired topic and price would be desired. The publishers want to control the change, independents want a more open change, but it is yet to be determined where the market and system are going.
I will not deny myself having my opinions.
crit19292
Name: Roby Ward
Tree

Re: social media - risk vs reward?

Postby crit30139 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:53 pm

Thanks Roby, that clears things up. It's a difficult question though. I've been reading a book about getting published that strongly suggests using social media to drum up support to make a writer more attractive to a potential agent or publisher. I guess it's a question of what you're willing to give away. Where do you see the short story writer's market going - with particular regard to speculative fiction?

Does anyone out there have any success or failure stories of using social media to get work out there and where this led?
crit30139
Name: Steven Saunders
Sprout

• Ads

Return to Lounge