On the scale of "suck"...

Pretty much anything goes. Flames ok. No blatant spam, nothing illegal or otherwise against the rules of the Innovation Forum.
  • Ads

On the scale of "suck"...

Postby maxbell » Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:25 am

Which is worse? "Twilight" or "Avatar"?
maxbell
Sprout

Re: On the scale of "suck"...

Postby crit24545 » Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:10 am

I can't help with a direct comparison; I never saw either movie because I boycotted them both. I absolutely hate the romantized vampires of today, with their teenage angst, trendy fashions, and big mousse hair. Likewise, I determined based on the synopsis that Avatar was really Dances with Wolves and they swapped out the red people for blue ones.
I noticed no one else commented on this thread. Maybe these works you're asking about are truly classic works of derivative fiction and we need to embrace them? Maybe?
crit24545
Name: James Beamon
Sprout

Postby crit24449 » Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:29 am

Twilight v. Avatar?

I hate to single out either for special ridicule lest I neglect lampooning the other.
crit24449
Name: Rowan Clemerson
Sprout

Postby crit16599 » Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:26 am

Definitely Twilight. Avatar was mediocre but funny, whereas I can't think of anything good to say about Twilight.
crit16599
Name: Mark Grant
Sprout

Postby crit24900 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:35 am

From a narrative stand point there was nothing original or interesting in the least bit about Avatar. That being said it is visually incredible. A true work of art. I'd watch it multiple times with no sound or subtitles.
crit24900
Name: Chris Pincus
Sprout

Postby Omniscient POV » Sun Dec 12, 2010 4:35 am

I ignored both films.
"Horses are God's apology for men"
Omniscient POV
Name: C.S. Miller
Sapling

Postby crit25278 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:55 pm

Having seen neither, my vote would be for Twilight, as it goes further down the road of changing vampires to the point where one asks oneself, "Why wouldn't I want to be a vampire?"

Early on, the answer was you wouldn't, despite its cool benefits. It changed to an acceptable degree over time with minor changes, but then it changed to being a tough proposition: minor immortality yet cursed as far as the religious aspect is concerned. It struck an uneasy balance but when Anne Rice all but removed religion from the equation, there became little reason not to prefer being a vampire.

Now, there's really NO reason NOT to want to be a vampire unless you have some exceptional revulsion to blood. Where do I sign up? That makes the genre boring, and therefore kills it.

There's no moral dilemma anymore, and there's certainly no fatal weakness. So vampires die because they get stabbed in the heart. So what? So do humans. At least I used to be able to eat Italian comfortable in the knowledge that my breath protected me from vampires as much as it does from the opposite sex.
Don't believe everything you think
crit25278
Name: Arius Kaufmann
Sprout

Postby crit25615 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:16 am

I liked 'em. But I liked 'em as drinking movies. Now I've been sober for a month I can't see why they'd be worth watching again... Not too many times... But I did grudgingly enjoy cheekbone chick and her romantic undead fixation thing. I wanted to hate it because one should always remain loyal to Buffy, but I liked it. A little. I liked how he was distracted by her smell and how that made her all self-conscious. I didn't really like the family of friendly vampires and their totally whacky sports day, but the story was at least trying to be good. I mean look at Underworld. Very attractive lead, very good actors (some of 'em) totally silly story. Total waste of time from beginning to end. Twilight had a smidgin of human interest to it at least.

Avatar was just very Camerony - got to have a character shouting 'Whoo-Hooo!' in a totally brainless way at some stage. But that Latin American woman pilot character who joins the blue hippies was really good. Scrumptious too. But primarily, of course, a really good character (ahem!). I liked it a lot when she swoops in on her rebel-painted ship thing, and says that line about her having guns too, or something. (Can't remember exactly - I was a bit over-refreshed at that stage in the movie!) Cameron's a twonk, no doubt about it, but a twonk who tries hard can still be charming, and there's a little bit of a twonk in everyone, even when they're not on the drink.

Yeah - no I changed my mind. I did like 'em. Not in the same way I like 'Let The Right One In' which was goose-bumpily brilliant (I am not watching the redundant american remake until someone sufficiently eloquent persuades me), or 'The Baader-Meinhof Complex' which was fascinating. But they're still fun. Anybody read the Sabriel books by Garth Nix? I think they're really aimed at teenagers, but I love them. They're extraordinarily strange. The first one is all about this teen girl good-necromancer type having to continually banish lively corpses with her magic bells. They should make a film out of that. Not Cameron though. Oooh - Cohen brothers. Cohen brothers should do Sabriel. THAT I would watch.

Thor looks good. Cap America too. No point being too snooty about movies. They're movies, after all. Not philosophical treatises.
crit25615
Name: Clynt Keelan
Sapling

Postby crit34602 » Sun May 13, 2018 8:42 pm

Twilight sucked in every aspect. from bland book character and lame plot to actors *ew* and on screen waste of money.
Avatar was good (only because they spent millions on makeup) but equally predictable in story line.
(but fake dragons are cooler than a glittery-blood-sucker) in my opinion anyway 8-)
crit34602
Name: Marta Lozinski
Sprout

• Ads

Return to Volcano Bar and Grill