Self-Driving Cars

What would you like the future to hold? Self-driving cars? World peace? Share your wishes here.
  • Ads

Self-Driving Cars

Postby admin » Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:00 pm

Okay, I used to wish for Flying Cars, but I'll accept self-driving cars as a really useful step in the right direction. :)

I'm sure some people really want to spend their hours in the car giving their attention to the road rather than reading, watching a movie, updating their facebook page, etc... but I think that number is dwindling. I'd much rather the car drove me where I want to go and let me do whatever I wanted.

We wouldn't have to ban all cell phone use while driving. Much as I agree -- humans driving cars should not use cell phones as they're a danger to others -- I think the real solution is to have the human not be driving the car. Text all you want, let the car do the driving.

Automakers seem averse to research in this, and generally very slow to adopt changes like this. (They barely provide ipod docks or built-in GPSs yet.)
admin
Name: Andrew Burt
Site Admin

Re: Self-Driving Cars

Postby delvebelow » Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:01 pm

This makes me recall those mid-century visions for self-driving cars. Instead of updating Facebook or talking on a phone or watching TV, everyone was sitting in their cars playing chess. Now THAT would be a real whimsical wish for the future!
delvebelow
Sprout

Postby crit1 » Sun Oct 10, 2010 4:44 pm

Hurrah for Google! Check out this article --

http://techcrunch.com/2010/10/09/google-car/

--that says they have developed working self-driving cars. Awesome!! I want!!
crit1
Sprout

Postby aburt » Thu Oct 14, 2010 6:02 pm

And another one! http://www.reuters.com/article/technolo ... SS&sp=true -- "German scientists have unveiled the latest in self-driving car technology -- an autonomous vehicle named "MadeInGermany" (MIG), which passengers can even call for a lift."
aburt
Tree

• Ads

Return to Wishes For The Future