Cloning Imortality

What would you like the future to hold? Self-driving cars? World peace? Share your wishes here.
  • Ads

Cloning Imortality

Postby gemmas » Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:37 am

Just after you finish puberty you go into a lab and the scientists take down every detail about you, from your DNA to a full mapping of your brain development. Then every two years or so you go back to have your brain re-mapped so that when you die the scientists can make a clone of your body just after puberty and implant it with all the memories and learning that your brain had the last time you were mapped. (Puberty sucked for me so I'm happy to ditch it from my next life cycle.) Hey presto you can have as many reincarnations of you as you want.

Kind of a mix of "The Island" and Joss Whedon's "Dollhouse."
gemmas
Sprout

Re: Cloning Imortality

Postby wswears » Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:53 am

Regardless of tech, if I'm being recreated from a recording, I'm memorex, not me. I think it would be incredibly self centered to give my estate, if there should be one, to a recreation of myself, denying it to my children, who actually are the people I shared my life with. I'm not so lacking in vanity that I might not want my memory set continued, but it should be continued as a new person, with neither my sinecures nor my debts and obligations.

I can kind of see my family feeling differently, but only kind of. My wife keeping a twenty year old copy of me around would smack more of maudlin sentimentality than continued devotion. She wouldn't see me, she'd see a child, and if my body was performing like it did when I was that age, I wouldn't be acting the way I have since I became an adult, either.
wswears
Sapling

Re: Cloning Imortality

Postby crit22990 » Sun Jul 27, 2014 1:31 pm

it's a concept I have been very interested in myself for writing projects. :)
crit22990
Name: Chad Parish
Sprout

• Ads

Return to Wishes For The Future