Hello!

For the Critters workshop and writing SF/F/H in general.
  • Ads

Hello!

Postby shahw1 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:26 am

I thought I'd been a member for some time but as I have bipolar disorder (and associated cognitive issues) I worried about the trade of critiques as I wasn't sure I could complete as many critiques as required or as quickly as required. I certainly wouldn't want my work critiqued if I couldn't provide the same. Turns out I wasn't a member of this actually group? I'm confused (easily) :)

For my Masters degree in Creative writing, however, I acquired software which helps, so have decided to give this group a go! I hope to provide as much advice and support as possible, and learn from the excellent writers on this site.

* I'm currently reworking three horror shorts and would appreciate critiques if any of you are willing to help. One should be ready by the end of this week. Please email me if you are interested.

Many Thanks X
Last edited by shahw1 on Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
shahw1
Name: Shah Wharton
Sprout

Re: Hello!

Postby crit19292 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:44 am

The trick to this site is hanging on. Writing is a slow process with more of a need of self-realization. There is thus little activity here. Check it regularly however (I do it about once a day), as things do happen. If you have something to talk about, you will get answered.
I will not deny myself having my opinions.
crit19292
Name: Roby Ward
Tree

Postby crit33321 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:52 pm

Hi "X", and welcome to the Critters Community!

In my experience over the last several months (I joined earlier this year) it takes about a month to get your story submissions through the Critters queue, which can be a little frustrating. I've found a few things to be really helpful during that process: 1) work on other stories while you're waiting, 2) submit your work through your Alpha or Beta readers, who tend to have faster response times, 3) submit your stories to the markets.

My stories tend to only go into the Critters queue AFTER they've been rejected by a few pro markets. I tend to get too close to my stories and have a problem seeing what might be wrong with them. Occasionally, I'll get a personal rejection from a magazine editor or slush reader with useful information about story issues. Mostly though, all I get are form rejections with no helpful info at all. The Critters folks, for the most part, are really good at making me see my stories from other points of view, and I've received some really great insight on problem areas. True, I have to wait a month to get this information, but I've found the wait is worth it.

I've also found the process of critiquing other stories to not only be helpful for other writers, but also helpful in my own writing. After you've done a handful of critiques, you start to become aware of areas to watch out for in your own writing. By seeing the problems that creep into other people's work, you begin to recognize them when they show up in your own work. So by helping others, you're also helping yourself at the same time.

We look forward to reading your work in the future. As mentioned above, hang in there -- writing is a life-long pursuit!

Hope that helps,
Morgan
crit33321
Name: Morgan Broadhead
Sapling

Postby shahw1 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:15 pm

Thanks for the welcome Morgan and Roby!

Sorry, I wasn't clear. I've done critiquing and be reading before, even for payment, just not here. I agree how rewarding it is, though. I've learned so much about how good (and bad) my writing is from how good (and bad) other writers are. A month turnaround isn't bad if that's as bad as it gets, especially if the feedback helps. The worst is waiting for feedback which either never comes or is useless, like: "Wow, I really enjoyed that!" or where they remove all evidence of 'voice' or correct grammar in dialogue, lol!

We have to keep on keeping on. :)

Shah X
shahw1
Name: Shah Wharton
Sprout

• Ads

Return to Science Fiction, Fantasy, and Horror Writing