Where to go

For the Critters workshop and writing SF/F/H in general.
  • Ads

Where to go

Postby crit34122 » Sun Dec 24, 2017 9:20 pm

Hello, I'll skip the intro and get to the issue.
I'm writing a Sci-Fi. But it plays out more like a detective novel. I'm having trouble on where to go next from where I am. I have a basic idea of what I want to happen, but details on how conclusions are made and figuring out how to create a friendship in the midst of all this is tripping me up.

Basically, this is what's happening:
The story is about Calvin, a man working as a bounty hunter for the government in exchange for them helping him find his father's killer (who's also inadvertently his brother's killer). This takes place in the future, where we have contact with other planets and therefore have something called the UTS (Universal Trade Station). The UTS is for trading technology and supplies with other planets, furthering both our growth and theirs. Anyway, it turns out that the killer (Jake) is in the UTS for reasons unknown to Calvin, but known to the government. However, Jake is smart, and works at the UTS, hidden with facial reconstruction surgery and a fake name. Calvin doesn't know who Jake disguised himself as, and worse, doesn't know who's working for him.
When Calvin arrives at the station we're introduced to the second main character, Louis. Louis has his own backstory. But long story short, he was injured as a kid and decided to work in space to prove to himself and everybody else that he could do it (since space travel requires certain physical capabilities). Now, by the end of this story, these two are supposed to get together. However, Calvin is very guarded and untrusting (due to his past with Jake). So before I even think about romance, I'm trying to just get them to be friends. And they would be good together, it's not like I'm trying to mix oil and water. I just have to figure out a way for Calvin's guard to come down without making Louis seem whiny.
As for the detective part. Calvin's trying to find Jake. But how? I've had ideas that I've scrapped. I need to progress it in a way where it's not too rushed.
If anyone has advice on anything mentioned, I would really appreciate it.
crit34122
Name: Riley Lebowicz
Sprout

Re: Where to go

Postby crit19292 » Mon Dec 25, 2017 1:09 pm

There should be no reason to rush the relationship. I assume their paths will parallel each other. They will not simply meet in some bar or crime scene then go their separate ways (maybe to wander into each other again). If two people spend time with each other, and become involved in what the other is doing, some information will pass along with a sense of what the other person is like. One thing can lead to another. Let things go slow and more natural.

Think of it this way: you are not writing a romance novel. The relationship is a bonus. Keep a focus on your story (stories), and let the other things support the story. If you suddenly make the relationship important, you could spoil the flow of your tale.
I will not deny myself having my opinions.
crit19292
Name: Roby Ward
Tree

Re: Where to go

Postby crit34122 » Mon Dec 25, 2017 5:49 pm

I'll keep that in mind, thank you.
crit34122
Name: Riley Lebowicz
Sprout

• Ads

Return to Science Fiction, Fantasy, and Horror Writing