What is necessary for a good author site?

For the Critters workshop and writing SF/F/H in general.
  • Ads

What is necessary for a good author site?

Postby crit25262 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:45 am

I'm looking for ideas on how to improve my website http://sausage-press.com/ So, I'd love to hear your opinions on what makes for a good author/publisher site. What are your turn-offs? What brings you back? That sort of thing. If you have a site, what did you learn the hard way? Do you think the criteria is different for sci-fi/fantasy/horror than it is for other genres?

I apologize if there's already a thread on this subject. I did a search for website/site and didn't come up with anything.
crit25262
Name: Adam Barksdale
Sprout

Re: What is necessary for a good author site?

Postby crit19292 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:40 am

The problem with a good author site is that authors really do not talk about what they are working on. If someone does talk, the others really are not interested because they are working on their own ideas. That means the site becomes dead.

There is also the problem that in my experience most seeking to write are not looking for advice, ancient wisdom, or criticism, but only praise. If you do provide positive feedback (deserved or not), there is then the problem of them not being able to pay bills with their writing (even if they do sell something occasionally). Again the site becomes dead as they put their focus on something else.

In all my years I have never seen a writers' site that had any real activity on it. It is just the nature of the beast.
I will not deny myself having my opinions.
crit19292
Name: Roby Ward
Tree

• Ads

Return to Science Fiction, Fantasy, and Horror Writing