Which do you prefer with trilogies?

For discussions relating to critique.org workshops in general, not for any specific workshop.
Forum rules
This forum is for questions that don't fit into a more specific workshop's forum. (If there's a more specific forum that's appropriate, please post there.) For example, a post about writing science fiction belongs in the SF writing forum, but a post about writing that applies to all writers could go here. Questions about the general nature of the critique.org workshops could go here, but not about a specific workshop.

Also see the forum rules at: http://critique.org/c/forums.ht
  • Ads

Postby CrittersMinion » Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:22 am

Survey Comment: Three volumes all in one is one big huge commitment to a story and a world. Even if it is a group of characters and a world I love, I think I need a break. Even if I have all volumes of a series or trilogy available to me, I don't think I've ever read them all without another book to break them up. An ebook that made it easy to stop after volume one - where it was a clearly defined stopping point, and part of the story was resolved might be okay with me too, but I suspect, in my excitement, I would just continue on, then get worn out later on. Maybe not though. Haven't tried it.
CrittersMinion
Name: A Critters Minion
Wise Old Tree

Postby CrittersMinion » Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:03 pm

Survey Comment: I've never bought an ebook trilogy. So I wouldn't know. I think I prefer three separate books because I associate the thoughts and insights I had while reading the book to that volume. If a trilogy is in one paper book, I just kind of consider it one book. Not three.
An exception is that I prefer to buy a volume of a bunch of smaller books. Take the Kelvin of Rud series by Piers Anthony and Robert E. Margrof, which sits on my shelf. Or the republished omnibus collection of McKinney's Robotech series.
CrittersMinion
Wise Old Tree

Postby CrittersMinion » Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:18 am

Survey Comment: For printed books, a combined volume is likely to be either uncomfortably large to hold while reading, or be printed in uncomfortably small type, thus I'd much rather have separate volumes. There's also the small matter that often a matching set of books looks much nicer on a shelf! :)

For e-books, it's less easy to rationalise my preference for separate volumes. Especially as I'm still fairly new to the format, having had my e-reader for less than a year. But I think I still prefer single volumes, because if I feel the need to search for a particular chapter or passage (and I didn't bookmark it on my way through), it seems that it should be easier to find if there aren't three books' worth of pages to search through. And since my reader is not a touch-screen, that's an awful lot of button-pressing to try and find what I'm looking for! In many ways I still prefer paper books just for that reason, although I do also enjoy the feel of holding a real book rather than an electronic gadget... :)

In both cases, if a combined book was significantly cheaper than buying the volumes individually then I would seriously consider it - but at the end of the day I'd still much prefer them to be separate if possible!

Sorry for the waffle, hope that helps a bit! :)
CrittersMinion
Wise Old Tree

Postby CrittersMinion » Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:49 pm

Survey Comment: For print trilogies, I prefer to keep the books separate, because it means less to carry around with me. For e-books, that matters less, but since I had to decide one way or the other, I picked separate.

Maybe I'm just old.
CrittersMinion
Wise Old Tree

Postby CrittersMinion » Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:47 pm

Survey Comment: I like there to be some separation between them, physically and time-wise. That gives them each their own character and sense of passage of time.
BTW, perhaps question two should be DO you read e-books. I don't, but if I did I would like them separate.
CrittersMinion
Wise Old Tree

Postby CrittersMinion » Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:15 pm

Survey Comment: If I'm reading hard copy, I don't want to lug around a three-volume book.

However, if it's short, like Hunger Games, I might like it all in one.
CrittersMinion
Wise Old Tree

Postby CrittersMinion » Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:51 am

Survey Comment: Personally I love to read paper books. And I carry them everywhere. For example at this moment I am away from home (to go to a writer's conference, my first!!) and have 3 paper books with me. All pocket size and lovely to take on trips or on walks. I do not use my ereader all that much but when I do it is just as easy and often cheaper to buy a trilogy to read through it. It also does not appear nearly as intimidating!! BTW Is the series you are promoting on the home page by Bell? available to Canadian Kobo customers?
CrittersMinion
Wise Old Tree

Postby CrittersMinion » Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:57 am

Survey Comment: It just seem handy that way. The price should be no different, ideally.
CrittersMinion
Wise Old Tree

Postby CrittersMinion » Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:35 pm

Survey Comment: Physical books loom as a challenge to motivation, and serve as tangible milestones of progress. E-books, by contrast, often have no meaningful pagination. The motivational barrier has already been surmounted, once the e-book icon has been clicked to open the work.

Even though I read many dozens of books each year, I needed nearly 50 years to finally pickup my 1800 page copy of War and Peace. Perhaps massive physical volumes are too reminiscent of huge and intimidating physics textbooks.

Bob
CrittersMinion
Wise Old Tree

Postby CrittersMinion » Sat Oct 20, 2012 6:51 am

Survey Comment: I really like the sense of accomplishment that comes with finishing a book. If it's in three volumes, I get that three times. Also, with series like Mistborn, you'll end up with a 2000 page book if you put it into a single volume.
CrittersMinion
Wise Old Tree

• Ads
PreviousNext

Return to General Workshop Forum