Which do you prefer with trilogies?

For discussions relating to critique.org workshops in general, not for any specific workshop.
Forum rules
This forum is for questions that don't fit into a more specific workshop's forum. (If there's a more specific forum that's appropriate, please post there.) For example, a post about writing science fiction belongs in the SF writing forum, but a post about writing that applies to all writers could go here. Questions about the general nature of the critique.org workshops could go here, but not about a specific workshop.

Also see the forum rules at: http://critique.org/c/forums.ht
  • Ads

Postby CrittersMinion » Sat Oct 20, 2012 5:18 pm

Survey Comment: I like distinct volumes and having smaller books gives me 'way-markers' so that I can see how I am progressing.
CrittersMinion
Name: A Critters Minion
Wise Old Tree

Postby CrittersMinion » Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:13 am

Survey Comment: Dude, I'm not going to buy a whole trilogy until I finish the first book and decide it's worth the commitment! ;)
CrittersMinion
Wise Old Tree

Postby CrittersMinion » Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:45 am

Survey Comment: For a printed book, I don't mind waiting a bit for the next, and three is too heavy.
For entirely practical reasons, like only having to download one book, I would wait for the trilogy to come out as an ebook.

Setting this aside; yes, this preference has no logical background.:)
CrittersMinion
Wise Old Tree

Postby CrittersMinion » Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:13 pm

Survey Comment: Trilogy e-books, definitely in one combined volume. No question in my mind. But the sheer size of a print combined trilogy, kind of omnibus version?, is daunting. Not a book you can stick in your bag to read on the bus! Also they sometimes don't wear well, at least the trade versions don't. And I know this is old school, but 3 separate volumes look nice up on the bookshelf.
CrittersMinion
Wise Old Tree

Postby CrittersMinion » Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:32 am

Survey Comment: For a print trilogy I'd rather have it all in one place so I can just read from start to finish. For an ebook I'd have it all in one place anyway, so I'd save money by just buying the first one and then making sure I like that one first.
CrittersMinion
Wise Old Tree

Postby CrittersMinion » Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:32 am

Survey Comment: For a print trilogy I'd rather have it all in one place so I can just read from start to finish. For an ebook I'd have it all in one place anyway, so I'd save money by just buying the first one and then making sure I like that one first.
CrittersMinion
Wise Old Tree

Postby CrittersMinion » Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:57 am

Survey Comment: i found this quite difficult to answer, as it would depend on whether I was buying an author I really loved, n which case I would want one combined volume in both ebook and print, or if it was someone new I was trying, in which case I would want the separate volumes.
it also depends on the length of the books. I wouldn't necessarily want a huge tome that was difficult to carry around in print format - but that wouldn't be an issue as an ebook.
CrittersMinion
Wise Old Tree

Postby CrittersMinion » Fri Dec 21, 2012 5:25 pm

Survey Comment: For me, holding a trilogy printed as a single book is just too much. I'm lazy. I don't want my books to weigh more than my coffee mug. I also like feeling as if I've actually finished one book.

For e-books, I could go either way, but probably lean toward a combined volume simply because the price is usually a little cheaper.
CrittersMinion
Wise Old Tree

Postby CrittersMinion » Wed Dec 26, 2012 1:58 am

Survey Comment: I generally don't like to read unfinished series. I make exceptions for authors I particularly adore, like Bujiod, and for series that have been gong on forever, like the Liaden stuff.

I'll note, as well, that the Liaden books include many stand-alones, and thus many points of entry.

Anyway, buying omnibus editions means I get a whole chunk at once. However, there is an exception. For print, even though I often wait until a trilogy is done to start it, if I am at all unsure about it, I will buy one book and read it before investing in the other two. Since e-books generally have samples, I will use the sample, but then buy the omnibus if I like it.
CrittersMinion
Wise Old Tree

Postby CrittersMinion » Thu May 30, 2013 11:14 pm

Survey Comment: Presuming that an omnibus costs more than a single volume, I'm willing to pay more over the long run for three separates if I don't like the book. That's for stuff I don't know.

If I'm re-purchasing, omnibus is fine. Though I have to say one of the reasons I like singles is the lovely artwork that some have ...
CrittersMinion
Wise Old Tree

• Ads
PreviousNext

Return to General Workshop Forum