Each Chapter gets harder to write?

For the Critters workshop and writing SF/F/H in general.
  • Ads

Each Chapter gets harder to write?

Postby crit26313 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:16 pm

I wrote down slightly over half of my outline, getting to 28K words. My chapter outlines are as full of details as the early ones, and I keep recording extra thoughts for later chapters when I think about it. But each subsequent chapter gets both harder and longer to finish. Is that common? I wrote stories normally in 2 to 10 K length before, and I wonder if I am just not ready to get a longer feature complete and that’s why I am stalling. Or is it that some chapters go fast, and some just fight back?
crit26313
Name: Elena Zimmerman
Sapling

Re: Each Chapter gets harder to write?

Postby crit19292 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:59 am

Words do not always come, and sometimes they try to rush out. Usually, what I find is that I hit a block because there is something wrong in my story. It cannot continue, because something is not right in my plans or what I did. Going back and reading what I have not only allows me to edit, but check the flow of the story. Sometimes minor characters get lost and I have to find them. Sometimes I find that Joe has become Harvey, and I need to straighten out names. Sometimes I realize that I wrote something that creates a plot hole that I need to take care of. Usually, once I have resolved the past I can get back to writing the future.

Of course there are also times when the jumble in my head keeps me from writing. Then I need to simply focus on my point of view and work things out through that person's eyes. It is hard sometimes to add that important detail, because your main character just would be in the wrong place to see it or actually have a personality that would not recognize it (or even deny it). Figuring out how to realistically have some things happen does take time.

Finally, there are the tried-and-true tools of writing. Sit down and outline all those ideas. Do character profiles (I keep a separate database on character's hair color, eye color, height, and other details).

Just keep at it. There will be dry periods. Remember the rule that the only cure for writer's block is to write. Sometimes not much comes out, but eventually the dam will break.
I will not deny myself having my opinions.
crit19292
Name: Roby Ward
Tree

Postby crit26313 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:24 pm

Thank you for responding. It's good to talk about the troubles once in a while. I do not feel it is a block exactly, as I know what I want to put down, it is just how slow it goes, and how tempted I am to go back and re-edit instead of moving forward & how sometimes a day or two passes without doing much.

My initial plan was to finish the first draft as fast as possible to get the skeleton built, and then go and edit it and re-edit and insert things and connections I missed (or what someone else does not see as clear etc).

Oh, well, I hope I can get it back on track.
crit26313
Sapling

Postby crit26313 » Thu May 03, 2018 7:37 pm

I wanted to share that I reached 50k words. This does not have much to do with quality and completeness, but I am happy to see that I am managing volumetrically so far.
crit26313
Sapling

• Ads

Return to Science Fiction, Fantasy, and Horror Writing