Sources of Inspiration

For the Critters workshop and writing SF/F/H in general.
  • Ads

Sources of Inspiration

Postby crit34722 » Sun Jul 22, 2018 1:48 pm

Hi Group,

Well, it's been 16 years of self-imposed exile but now I'm back!

Here's a question - will anyone be willing to share the names of writers who have been the most influential for their work?

For me, as much as I like science fiction many of my favorite authors are from different genres, periods and styles.

Maybe a healthy mix of alternative literature is a good formula for jump starting creativity.

For example: I just finished Oscar Wilde's The Picture of Dorian Gray; what a great book! There was one section that does not go over well with modern readers (some part where Wilde felt the need to share his classical education) but the rest was delightfully creepy. I have now added him to my list of favorites and I plan on reading more of him because I believe I will be a better writer by studying his style.

So there you go - share your thoughts on who turned you onto this path (as Hemingway once said: writing is easy, just sit at your writing desk and open up a vein.)
crit34722
Name: Robert Cleary
Sprout

Re: Sources of Inspiration

Postby crit32566 » Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:22 pm

I often find myself examining the style of character I'm writing and adjust it to someone who fits that personality type/feel. If I want a sarcastic character, I might go with Eric Frank Russell. If I want an excess of creative atmosphere, Jack Vance.

Like you said, a healthy mix...

Sometimes the mechanics of a story are well-oiled, or paced in a good fashion. For taut narrative and plot-speed, I like Lois McMasters Bujold. For the grand design yet still moving forward, Brandon Sanderson. Just my feels here, but there are certain stories that we fully ingest, and these end up seasoning our own works.
crit32566
Name: Joshua Freeman
Sapling

Re: Sources of Inspiration

Postby crit34722 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:51 am

I'm impressed - you have a nice "bull pen" there to draw from. I'm going to try and list my favorite authors and see if I can categorize them in a similar manner.
crit34722
Name: Robert Cleary
Sprout

• Ads

Return to Science Fiction, Fantasy, and Horror Writing